So we dunno about y’all, but we’re super excited for season 3 of MLP next month. So we’ve been watching all the episodes for like the umpteenth time, and decided to make this cocktail after watching the season 2 finale. Tonight, we bring probably our most ambitious cocktail to date… just as ambitious as its inspiration - Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings. Here we have a layered, black light reactive cocktail. The bottom green layer is more of a simple syrup. Midori, some energy drink and thickened up a bit with sugar. The top layer is Pomegranate Blueberry juice with Gin and muddled Blackberries. Photographing the black-light reaction also proved to be challenging, but we feel this shot does it the best justice. So anyway… on with the recipe!
- 3 oz Midori
- 3 oz Green Tea Rehab monster energy drink thing
- .5-1 oz Tonic Water (this will help it be brighter in the black light, but tonic glows Blue so keep that in mind)
- 7 oz Sugar (essentially just as much as the wet ingredients)
- This is like simple syrup basically. You’re gonna put it all in a pot and thicken it up. What you’re aiming for here is to make it heavier than the Black layer so the black layer can rest on top of it. Make it TOO thick, however, and you’ll have to get a spoon to stir the damn drink together (this happened to us on the first attempt.) Also keep in mind it gets thicker as it cools, so I would say err on the side of thinner in the pot.
- Set this aside to cool.
- 1 oz Gin
- 3 oz Juice
- 2-3 Blackberries
- Mix ingredients together
- Muddle in the Blackberries (This is fancy talk for ‘smash that shit to bits with whatever you have’. Like… a mortar and pestle.)
- Strain the smashed blackberry bits out.
- set aside.
The whole shabangabanga
- Take your cocktail glass and dip the rim in Tonic Water. It’s essential that you use Tonic Water here because it has Quinine which is the thing that makes it black light reactive.
- Dip your moistened glass rim into sugar and get it all nice and coated.
- Pour your simple syrup-ish green mix into the cocktail glass first.
- Layer the black mix onto the green. The method I found works the best is to pour VERY SLOWLY over the Back of a Spoon so the mix gently falls on top of the green without having enough force to mix itself into the syrup. (One thing to note - this simple syrup is incredibly sweet, so if you want to lessen the sweetness, use less of the syrup in your cocktail.)
- Sit back, enjoy and remember… This day is going to be perfect.